Thursday, September 24, 2015

The double switch!


09/22/2015




When you least expect it.  I usually call and talk to the first course of the day about their start time and if they have any events scheduled for the day. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at Valley View in Gibbon, so I headed out west on I80 to exit 285. The fog got steadily thicker as I approached Gibbon so I stopped at a quick shop and waited about an hour as the fog slowly lifted. It still wasn't clear enough to play golf as I began driving the 4.5 miles north of town to the golf course but I couldn't wait any longer. As I crested the hill next to the clubhouse, I was surprised to see several high school girls warming up in the light fog. After a brief conversation with one of the coaches, I headed back to Hwy 30 and east towards Wood River. What a welcome sight at the Wood River Country Club, no fog and no golfers!  Wood River's course layout was shaped by years of overflow from the Platte River creating depressions and dry culverts. The course plays around the outside of the property while the driving range and waste land make up the middle area. A few trees align some of the wide well manicured fairways approaching small elevated greens. Even though the fairways are relatively flat they contain many undulations that make for uneven lies.  While I was leaving Wood River headed to Alda, I was told that the Alda golf course was closed a couple of years ago so I looked through the travel packets in my brief case and found Centura Hills of Cario to be near by. I did call them about availability and they said no problem.
























Cario is about 15 miles north of Wood River on Hwy 2. The original 9 holes were completed in 1996 over a gentle rolling hills area now with mature trees lining most of the well manicured fairways and large fast greens. The second nine holes were completed in 2007 in a very flat area with young trees and a developing housing area with native grasses and thick demanding rough. Since then they have re-arranged the holes so each nine plays on both sides of the course. This stretches the course out and makes it a long walk and a cart is necessary. It is in excellent shape and is well worth the visit. The 16th hole is one of the longest holes in the state at 628 yds.



Big Boy par 5
Cool yard sign!
























Score Card: 141 courses played

Miles Driven: 285

Total Miles since 7/21/2014: 4513


No comments:

Post a Comment