Thursday, August 13, 2015

Omaha is in my rear view mirror for Golfing Nebraska


8/11/2015

Arrived in Omaha prior to 7am since the Steve Hogan golf course told me that the have a women`s league teeing off at 7:30. Glad I made that call! When I finally got around the construction in and around north 30th street, I was greeted by 4 Omaha police cruisers at the golf shop. Seems an attempted break-in to the club house overnight got people excited there since the murder of a drug dealer on June 29th by teenagers.

The pro shop was not able to collect my green fee yet so the maintenance chief said to go ahead and pay when I was finished. This course is all par threes and one of five city par 3 courses. The holes range from 187 yards to 100 yards with well maintained medium sized and relative flat greens. The morning dew had not been mowed off the greens when I arrived at the fourth tee and pulled out a 6 iron for the 155 yard hole. It was a bit hazy down at the green when I hit as it started towards the center of the green but I did not see it hit the ground. As I approached the green, I scanned the area and thought I must have flew over since the flight was on line with the center. Nothing behind so I looked at the front and spotted a fresh divot near the front edge of the green and a dew track that ran into the hole. Could it be...so I looked in the hole and there was Wilson looking back at me! Since I was alone I could not holler at anyone but was a bit stunned.




I looked around and the greens mower was several holes away, unlike the commercial where the maintenance guy drives up and says your buying!  My previous hole-in-one was on a golf trip to Arizona with 16 guys. Plenty of celebration then! I kind of stood there for a few seconds and headed for the 5th tee and hit it 10 feet and made a birdie putt. Finished the round one over the last four for a score of 26, one under.

Lake comes into play on holes 1, 2 and 9


Strolled up to the clubhouse and paid my green fee and talked to the pro about the round and he congratulated me but said he cannot report it since I had no witnesses. He recognized me from a meeting at the putting green at Mahoney Golf course in Lincoln last year. Told him that I was off to finish up Omaha courses at Fontenelle Park, Elmwood Park and Stone Creek. I found out that Fontenelle Park had been closed for a couple of years and he got me a tee time at Elmwood Park. Thanked them and was on my way to Elmwood.

Elmwood Park does not open until 9am on Tuesday for maintenance reasons, so I waited outside the pro shop and visited with with two elderly gentlemen who would become my playing partners. We were the first group off the tee so no waiting golf which is ideal. This is a short hilly course ( 5003 yds) with 4 par three's and 14 par fours of which several are drivable and average 286 yards. Nice wide tree lined fairways and large greens with slight undulations and putted very true. Had a very pleasant round with Bob and Lou.



Par 3 number two at Elmwood




My last stop of the day and last course in Omaha for Golfing Nebraska is Stone Creek in the northwest area of town.  Stone Creek consists of 3 nine hole courses that amble through a housing development with plenty of sand traps and water hazards throughout the course and a very large practice facility.  The fairways are rolling and not many flat lies. The greens are quite large and lots of break. On the Blackstone course the 9th hole shares a large figure 8 shaped green with the Sandstone course.





Score Card: 112 courses played

Miles Driven: 138

Total Miles since 7/21/2014: 2659


No comments:

Post a Comment