Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Good Walk Spoiled



When I saw that the eclipse was going to be on Aug 21st  with nothing on my retired calendar until 5pm, I decided to see this eclipse from the golf course. Holmes Golf Course had a special, 9 holes for 10.50 during the eclipse time frame.  When I arrived I noticed that there were more eclipse watchers in the park around the lake than eclipse golfers. Oh well different "strokes" for different folks.  I started on the back nine at 12:00 straight up. After each hole I checked the progress of the partial eclipse with my special viewing glasses.  After I hit my drive on 17, I could see that it was getting closer to totality time. After I hit my approach shot onto the green the full corona ring was complete. Cheering voices and fireworks took over as watched through the darkness. I lined up my putt just as some light began to appear, but did not allow enough break, must have been the pull from the moon! After the light got back to normal, I hit two good fairway woods and a wedge to the 18th and made a downhill 20 footer for birdie to end a unique round of golf. I will remember this for a long time. The next scheduled total eclipse for Lincoln NE is in 628 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment