Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Take the long way home


05/15/2016

After the weekend with Pam's family in Ainsworth for her Aunts memorial service, she and her Aunt from Lincoln were going to head home the regular way through Norfolk, but I had other ideas about more golf courses on my list and headed south to Broken Bow to start another Golfing Nebraska Day!

Travelling south of Ainsworth on Hwy 7 to Brewster, another place I had never been to, a fork in the road decision had to be made. The easy way was to go west on Hwy 91 to Dunning, then southeast on Hwy 2 to Broken Bow, but the shorter and more adventurous way was on a ranch road straight south to Broken Bow. I had second thoughts when the pavement turned to sand and gravel after about two miles, but I continued on. Lots of cattle and ranches but suddenly I stopped to snap this picture.


I saw enough turkeys on this road to feed all my golf buddies for a year! I also came across an RV park in the middle of no where at Victoria Springs near Anselmo. Now onto Broken Bow CC.


The Broken Bow CC is gently rolling course with small to medium bent grass greens that are quiet flat with very few sand bunkers. The first hole is a 430 yard par 4 with OB right the entire length as well as right behind the green. Also challenging is the 112 yard par three 5th with a false front and large sand trap.





Next Stop: Overton

Made a pit stop in Lexington ( Largest community in Nebraska without a golf course!) to refuel me and my golf car.  Overton is 11 miles east on Hwy 30. As the Overton Golf Club came into view, I could see a problem on every fairway..golfers playing a scramble! I rarely go Golfing Nebraska on weekends, so I headed for I-80 and Minden Country Club.


Minden Country Club is a well manicured course with rolling hills and a creek coming into play on 7 of the holes. The par 3's are very challenging with yardages of 190, 205 and 188 and the greens are medium  sized with some slope and a few bunkers.





Score Card: 169 courses played

Miles Driven: 340

Total Miles since 7/21/2014: 7562

No comments:

Post a Comment